Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles
Mission of the University of Colorado
The University of Colorado is a public research university with multiple campuses serving Colorado, the nation and the world through leadership in high-quality education and professional training, public service, advancing research and knowledge, and state-of-the-art health care.
Each campus has a distinct role and mission as provided by Colorado law.
(Laws of the Regents, Article 1, Part C. Adopted 02/11/2010.)
The University of Colorado will be a premier, accessible and transformative public university that provides a quality and affordable education with outstanding teaching, learning, research, service, and health care. Through collaboration, innovation, technology and entrepreneurship, CU will expand student success, diversity and the economic foundation of the State of Colorado.
(Adopted by board resolution on Sept. 11, 2012)
Article 1, Part C of the Laws of the Regents establishes the mission of the University of Colorado. Consistent with the legal obligations and responsibilities of the University of Colorado community, the university will:
- Encourage and provide access to the university for all qualified students within the university’s capacity.
- Maintain a commitment to excellence.
- Promote and uphold the principles of ethics, integrity, transparency, and accountability.
- Be conscientious stewards of the university’s human, physical, financial, information, and natural resources.
- Encourage, honor, and respect teaching, learning, and academic culture.
- Promote faculty, student, and staff diversity to ensure the rich interchange of ideas in the pursuit of truth and learning, including diversity of political, geographic, cultural, intellectual, and philosophical perspectives.
- Encourage and support innovation and entrepreneurship at all levels of the university including research and creative activities.
- Strive to meet the needs of the State of Colorado, including health care, technology, work force training, and civic literacy.
- Ensure that the university is an economic, social, and cultural catalyst.
- Support and encourage collaboration amongst departments and campuses, and between the university and other educational institutions to improve our communities.
- Provide an outstanding, respectful, and responsive living, learning, teaching, and working environment.
- Focus on meaningful measurable results.
(Regent Policy 1.B: University of Colorado Legal Origins, Guiding Principles, Principles of Ethical Behavior. Approved 02/11/2010; revised 06/24/2010.)